The FLC has revamped the Advocacy Committee with a renewed and strategic focus on strengthening advocacy at the grassroots level.
Members of the 2021 Committee have been announced! View the 2021 Advocacy Committee Roster
The Advocacy Committee is responsible for building support amongst the League membership and the Legislature for the legislative priorities adopted by the membership of the Florida League of Cities. Additionally, the Advocacy committee is responsible for making direct contact with state elected officials to advocate the FLC Legislative Action Agenda and other key issues and provide strategic direction on the Leagues' lobbying initiatives.
The Advocacy Committee will meet periodically via Zoom and in person at the FLC Annual Conference.
Duties of Advocacy Committee members include, but are limited to:
- Responding to at least five FLC legislative alerts.
- Building strong relationships with members of your state or federal legislative delegation.
- Meeting with members of your legislative delegation at least biannually to promote the FLC Legislative Action Agenda; and maintain the relationships.
- Serving as a Legislative Key Contact
- Expanding the League's legislative key contact program and recruiting other municipal officials to participate in the League's advocacy program.
- Helping League staff determine the impacts of legislative proposals on municipal operations and functions.
- Keeping the FLC staff informed on communications and activities with legislators.
- Staying informed about FLC legislative issues.
- Participating in FLC Legislative Action Days during Session
- Traveling to Tallahassee during interim legislative committee meetings or during session to advocate on behalf of the League's agenda.
- Working with FLC Staff, attend and participate on a round table discussion with a member of your state or federal delegation.
- Attend and speak at your local legislative delegation meeting.
- Attend and speak on Home Rule at a civic club, local chamber event, etc.
Contact Allison Payne or Scott Dudley with any questions.